Friday, September 7, 2012

Everybody Wants to Change the World, Right?

My name is Laura Ann Carrione. I was raised in a very structured Italian Catholic household, where God, education, and good values trumped anything else this world could bring. But I've always believed that secondary to your character, is your creativity; and that the former is detected through the latter. While my parents were both of the business sort, I wandered off in a different direction. I found my own piano teacher at the age of 5, and since then, I've been determined to channel whatever ideas I have into venues that would inevitably reach people.
(My bio from GirlsGoneSporty magazine, for which I am a freelance writer).

There is a quote from the movie, "The History Boys," that I feel anybody can identify with - whether it's through novels, movies, songs, poems, music, photography, or art:

"The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - that you'd thought special, particular to you. And here it is, set down by someone else, a person you've never met, maybe even someone long dead. And it's as if a hand has come out, and taken yours." 

Empathy. It is perhaps the best emotion humans possess, and I've worked on numerous projects in an attempt to be that hand for somebody else.

My passion is not limited to a particular format. I've written songs that were requested to be performed at school events and used for documentaries; I've written poems, skits, and most recently, a film. I want to do a little bit of everything, and in doing so, help to change the world - as cliche as it may be.

A recent project of mine was for the STOP KONY movement. 

Do More Than Just Watch
(Cover for Scarlet Magazine, April 2012)

As Editor-in-Chief of our school magazine during the Spring semester, I was very focused on informing my fellow classmates about the atrocities that were committed in Uganda - something I couldn't help but empathize with. 

Below is a link to a Youtube video I made for a class project. It features a song I also wrote. Check it out, and remember that it takes doing, not just watching, to make something right:



Until next time,
Laura Carrione

No comments:

Post a Comment