Saturday, September 8, 2012

Who Knew Writing About Yourself Could Be So Hard?


“I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.”-Robert Frost


A rather trite quote, I'll admit but it works for me. I'm Brian Harris, I'm 27 and I'm from Long Branch,NJ. The picture is one I took at Seven President's Beach in LB. Growing up on the Jersey Shore has given me a different outlook on life, one that I would trade for anything. There's simply no other place I'd rather be from than here. 

I'm a journalism/media studies major who started school at 23 because I didn't know what I'd like to do with the rest of my life right out of high school so I went out and lived it until I did. A lot of ups and a whole lot more downs occurred along the way but it was a overall experience that I wouldn't ever trade. I got my associates degree in journalism from Brookdale, where I won a school and national awards as the editor-in-chief of the school paper, The Stall. I'm currently one of the editors of the Rutgers-Newark newspaper, The Observer and have contributed to the Scarlet Magazine and various other blogs. You can check out my very own blog, Minoranza Vocale, here.

What drew me into the field of journalism, was the first part of the word, "journal". Being a reporter who simply regurgitates facts about what event happened today simply holds no interest to me but looking for the interesting stories about different people, places and things that need to be told and tell them does. That's what a journalist does, they are the keepers, the recorders and the tellers of history. With the convergence of all of the different forms of media that is at everyone's fingertips nowadays give everyone the opportunity to be a part of history.

With all that being said, I'm probably going to end up being an high school English teacher (which is cool by me) or a writer for a music magazine since music has had such an impact on every aspect of my life, from political views and what I eat to how I deal with everyday things. 

Well I totally blew the whole 1 paragraph part of this assignment but whatever, I'm not a big stickler for rules any way. 

Later, 
BH



No comments:

Post a Comment